For Information Contact
Public Affairs (202) 981-6000
For Immediate Release
This year, Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Office of Inspector General (OIG) employees were recognized for their outstanding achievements at the annual awards ceremony held by the Council of Inspectors General on Integrity and Efficiency (CIGIE) on October 15, 2019.
DHS OIG employees received the following six awards for their excellence in audit, investigations, and evaluations. Additionally, the agency received the Gaston L. Gianni, Jr. Better Government Award with colleagues from the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration.
- Award for Excellence, Audit – FEMA Did Not Safeguard Disaster Survivors’ Sensitive Personally Identifiable Information Audit Teams. In recognition of exceptional efforts, which resulted in Management Alert – FEMA Did Not Safeguard Disaster Survivors’ Sensitive Personally Identifiable Information, during audits of the FEMA Transitional Sheltering Assistance program and contract.
- Award for Excellence, Audit – Accenture Hiring Contract. In recognition of the DHS OIG audit team’s outstanding achievements in improving the integrity, efficiency, and effectiveness of CBP hiring operations.
- Award for Excellence, Audit – Border Patrol Needs a Staffing Model to Better Plan for Hiring More Agents. In recognition of audit team’s exemplary service and commendable effort in auditing the Border Patrol’s workforce staffing model, which led to proposed legislation requiring CBP to develop and implement models to enhance workforce effectiveness.
- Award for Excellence, Investigation – Investigation of the New York City Department of Transportation. In recognition of the multi-agency investigative team, consisting of the DHS OIG; the United States Attorney’s Office, Southern District of New York; and the New York City Department of Investigation, which resulted in the recovery of $8,500,000 in Federal funds.
- Award for Excellence, Evaluations – DHS OIG Family Separations Team. In recognition of report, Initial Observations Regarding Family Separation Issues Under the Zero Tolerance Policy.
- Award for Excellence, Evaluations – ICE Does Not Fully Use Contracting Tools to Hold Detention Facility Contractors Accountable for Failing to Meet Performance Standards. In recognition of the team’s exceptional efforts to identify and address challenges in U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s ability to hold detention facility contractors accountable for failing to meet detention standards.
- Gaston L. Gianni, Jr. Better Government Award – Operation Outsource. In recognition of the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Office of Inspector General, and Homeland Security Investigations for their efforts in combating impersonation-related fraud schemes.
“I am extremely proud of the accomplishments of our colleagues who were recognized,” said DHS Inspector General Dr. Joseph Cuffari. “Their commitment to ensuring the integrity of DHS programs and operations provides assurance to all Americans that the agency is able to safeguard the American people, our homeland and our values.”